Ben is away this week and I am looking after the boat while he’s gone. The jobs list he left is a lot of littles that keep getting passed over for time constraints and other projects. A few things have needed painting or re-varnishing in places most people would never see! I cleaned and painted under the area where the stove fits in. It has a few water pipes running through it and gets grimy with food and green drips from the bronze. A fresh coat of white paint makes a huge difference, even if I’m the only one to know about it! There was also a hole in the same area where the kerosene line used to go through so I fitted a bronze bolt into it and made it a lot less obvious that anything was there before.
I used some white paint in the head as well. Some of the clear tubing needed some camouflage.
The navigation area gets a lot of abuse, being right at the base of the companionway and a convenient place to put down whatever you are holding. It had developed a blister and some surface scratches. I sanded it down and put a couple new coats of varnish on, now it blends in with the rest of the area nicely.
A week or so ago, Ben discovered a little tiny leak coming from the fresh water fill on deck. The fill is directly over the Mastervolt chargers and if they got wet everyone would be having a bad day. Today I pulled the bronze fill pipe up and re-bedded it with Teak Decking System adhesive. Tomorrow I will test it with lots of water and hope none gets through.
A fun little project was to redesign the stowage in the compartment that houses the heat gun, hot knife and Dremel. They were all sort of tossed into the cupboard leaving little space for anything else. I used the idea from the drill cupboard and screwed in some webbing loops to hang the tools in. Now they all hang up in their own little space, leaving all the floor space for other things, dry stores, spares, supplies, ect.
My favorite project has been working on the winch bookends. They were started in Newport but needed to be assembled and covered in elk hide for the back and bottom. They look beautiful and the winches still turn on their base, though I wouldn’t go putting a whole lot of load on them.